History of the jewish community on portland’s eastside
The early history of Jewish Portland was centered around historic South Portland, the area now known as South Waterfront, along with Portland State University and the Corbett-Terwilliger-Lair Hill neighborhoods. As described in The Jewish Oregon Story, 1950-2010 by Ellen Eisenberg, the 1950s involved a major shift to eastside neighborhoods such as Irvington, Alameda, Laurelhurst, Ladd’s Addition, Eastmoreland, and Westmoreland. A 1957 survey found the majority of the Jewish community on the eastside, 36% in Northeast and 20% in Southeast, despite its dearth of Jewish institutions. After much discussion and analysis, leaders in the late 1960s and early 1970s ultimately decided to focus on the westside as the area of investment and growth, leading to a magnetic draw away from the eastside, with much of the Jewish population relocating. In recent years, the eastside has seen tremendous growth and an enormous influx of residents, particularly younger transplants. According to a study by the Jewish Federation of Greater Portland, approximately one-fourth of the Portland metro Jewish population lives on the eastside.